The restringing is now underway. This is definitely a tedious and methodical process but when done right the foundation is there for a great sounding piano.
Got some more stringing done today. Really didn’t find my rhythm till late but I did reach the halfway point. I think with a big push I can finish it off tomorrow.
Here is a shot of my jumbled mess of tools that I use to get the job done.
By the way I know many stringers don’t use this but I find this driving hammer quite handy. My father and I saw it in use at the Story & Clark factory during a visit years ago. Needless to say it gave us some bright ideas.
Here are a couple more shots showing a unique perspective. I like to make my coils on the tuning pins neat as I go along….. I’ve seen others go back after finishing to clean stuff up.
Well I didn’t quite make it today. I do know that tomorrow however will be the day I get it finished up. Installation of the bass strings will go way faster than the treble wire has gone. No technical/structural problems have been encountered so we are in good shape.
These are brand new exact duplicate strings for this piano that will surely make it come alive!
All the stringing is now finished. Tomorrow I will clean up a few things and reassemble. Things went fairly smoothly with the last day of stringing. Now it’s time to turn attention to the action where the new hammers, dampers, and bridal straps will be installed. I will also deal with the broken action parts.